January 17, 2010

Wrapped in Hope



I am going to participate in Wrapped in Hope. It's an event (not sure what to call it?) being held/run by Margaret's Hope Chest. The goal is to provide children of a prisoner a special birthday quilt. I am so excited and can't wait to get started on it!!

Here's what I wrote to her -

Thank you so much for thinking of these kids this is something that touches me in many ways.
 
I once was one of these children because of a decision my mom made. In this state today for the same charge she would have only been sent to jail but at that time she went to prison (disorderly conduct). The Angel Tree organization at that time was not in place. Although we did have a decent Xmas things were difficult as we were passed from home to home with family members. My mom cried a lot because of this time period but she never put her self in that position again.
 
My brother's wife also spent time in prison. The Angel Tree was a god send to them and their daughters during this time. She said it was the greatest thing in the world to know that even though she had made the wrong choices in life that someone cared enough to not punish her kids. We all supported and helped my brother out during this time so that their daughters didn't get shipped from home to home. My brother tried so hard but there is only so much one person can do. Especially when their birthdays, Xmas and Easter all fell within a 3 month period that year.
 
I think of all the little things we helped him with that he wasn't able to do on his own -- that's why I'm so happy to help with this project. Your right there are very few organizations like this in place - in fact none in my tri-state area that I know of.


later...

No comments: