October 2, 2015

super cheap and easy chicken noodle soup recipe

I was trying to push coax my son and his family into doing some prepping type things this weekend and thought .... since it's so chilly it would be a good idea to make some chicken noodle soup and freeze half of it for later. I told them I have a recipe for a cheap and easy chicken noodle soup -- and I do....... in my HEAD lol  Not an actual recipe that's view-able online or typed out! So I thought better get to work writing it out. So here it goes.

dirt cheap chicken noodle soup

     6 chicken bouillon cubes
8-12 cups of water
     1 bag/box of tiny noodles (stars, ABCs, etc)
        pepper (to taste)

directions: get water boiling; add bouillon and pepper, stir to dissolve; bring back to boil; dump in noodles and stir for 15 seconds; shut off burner; wait about 4 mins and stir again; soup is done when noodles are soft (about 10 mins).


now depending on how lucky you are, there might be some things you can add to this soup to make it even tastier. Here's some things I can think of that are cheap and easy.

(add any of these BEFORE noodles!)
  • canned chicken
  • 1 small onion diced
  • ½ bottle of dried onion flakes
  • fresh celery or carrots (about 1 each)
  • garlic (about 2 tablespoons)
  • ½ Tablespoon garlic powder (NOT garlic salt!)
  • ½ Tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 or 2 cans cream of chicken soup
  • more bags of noodles
  •  2 Tablespoons of oil or butter
  • a can of corn
 I try to put all of that above in mine, maybe less bouillon, and I also try to put in the following herbs (just a sprinkle each) - thyme, parsley, herbs de provence, and celery seed. Also if I have the chance I will boil chicken in water then pull the chicken out, chop it up, add it instead of canned chicken - then use the leftover water for the water that's listed above.

If for some reason you don't have chicken bouillon you can use chicken ramen noodle seasoning packs. Also you can use ANY kind of noodle. I would suggest breaking up large ones but you don't have to. We've had chicken noodle soup with broken up macaroni before! lol

And everyone who knows me knows I ALWAYS make all recipes doubled at least so..........

later...

No comments: