September 12, 2009

Day 3 - it's unexpected dinner guests!



Day 3 - it's unexpected dinner guests!

This was actually done on Friday so obviously I didn't actively participate. But through this whole challenge each day we run through and see if we could of made it.

Limitations for today are : (all days you can't spend any money)
  • an appetizer
  • no meat in main course
  • 2 side dishes
  • a dessert
  • other family member help & table set nicely
Advanced:
  • you have 1 hour to do this in

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly this wouldn't happen with us. Maybe we're just unsociable but someone wouldn't just invite themselves to our house for dinner let alone have specifications on how that meal should be!

I guess it's not being unsociable but I expect people to respect me & my home enough to either go about things differently or something. And if they don't respect me enough then I will demand it - plain and simple.

I do understand the point in this though, don't get me wrong. And I could even see some family and close friends trying something like this. Although it would only happen once it would still be an emergency. And I could see attempting to cater to this person but not in anyway it would interrupt our normal meal.

I could completely see something like this happening---> see "so-and-so" at the store and them say hey we ought to get together for a bbq tonight! Our bbq's are usually planned out beforehand so this would be an emergency of sorts. I have things to throw something like that together usually on hand. Also I have a few go-to recipes that I use for get togethers.

It's my belief that if someone is to dine with others and they have a specific taste they should provide for themselves. Not that someone CAN'T cater to that person if they would like or if it correlates with their tastes, but they don't HAVE to. Allergies are a different cup of tea.

Overall I think if an impromptu event was to come up where we needed to feed others in a formal-like setting was to come up we could do it pretty easily. But overall we aren't a frilly dine together kind of family -- break out the mis-match plates or paper plates and skootch over the couch ain't just for you!

later...

No comments: